Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Save City Builder Efforts
Hello everyone.

I am new to these forums but when i read the discouraging possible future for the wonderful tool city planner i felt the need to do something to try to help.

First off,   I am the cheapest person i know. Hence why i play a "free" game. But i feel inclined to support City Planner due to the excellent assistance it provides in taking FOE strategy to the next level.  One major problem I have though is donating to a cause i have no idea if it's even going to make a difference.   If the donations don't keep city planner alive than i'm out what i donated.   Yes i know the creator and benefactors have given so much more that i may sound scroogy to think this way but... ok yes, that's kind of what i am.   Anyway,   I think a way to alleviate this issue is to periodically (as often as possible) post the goal (one year server cost)  and what the donators have pledged.  So we can see the progress being made and how close to the goal we are getting.

Now comes the way I plan to help.  (If allowed by the creator of this program)
  I play in 5 worlds.   4 of them i can access via web browser.   Each of the worlds I will put out over the global chat system a message about city planner. It's usefulness and the situation it is in.  It will go something like this.

Hello Everyone.   Have you used city planner to plan out the growth of your foe city? It allows you to load your city, pick and place your buildings and any other building in the game to build out the perfect city. You can use it for free at http://foemanager.com/city-planner/app/     The program is free but hosting the servers is not.  The development team is running a donation drive to keep this wonderful tool alive.    Go to the site, check it out, use the tool to improve your city and if your so inclined, please leave a donation to ensure it's future.   Thanks!

I plan to post this message maybe once or twice a day over the next couple weeks.  Hopefully it draws new interest into the tool and galvanises the user base to support it.

I play on East-Nagach, Noarsil, Sinerania and Angkor.    If anyone else wants to continue the message in other worlds please list what worlds you can support in below.   Please don't spam the chat over and over with this as we want it to be a friendly message.

If you have any other ideas to help garner support for this program or tweaks to the message above, please share them.  Lets keep this program alive!
I like your idea. But this is also true - this message should not be annoying, because some players may start to complain to support. Also, better to put just http://foemanager.com/city-planner/ as a url.

The goal (server cost) is posted here http://foemanager.com/community/showthread.php?tid=477 You can visit Patreon page to see current status - I made the amount public. Also, while server cost is something that is more important now, there is still maintenance and adding new features. There are few features which many players requested. However, I already dedicated few months of work. I cannot do it all the time, because I need to earn money elsewhere. If I see enough financial support from the community, I will also start adding new features.

And finally, about to donate or not. It's always is up to you. However, if you do not, it will definitely not make a difference. If people will think that they will wait till others help, then it might be problematic to collect required amount.
Also, i would suggest to change wording a bit, and to remove donation from it, to be less disturbing for some people. You can just wrote something like, City planner needs your help and attention right now.
Ok, so the chat box is pretty limited in FOE. I'm going to modify and cut the notice into sections below for easy cut and past into FOE global chat.

Hello Everyone. Have you used city planner to plan out the growth of your foe city?

It allows you to load your city, pick and place your buildings and any other building in the game to build out the perfect city.

You can use it for free at http://foemanager.com/city-planner The program is free but hosting the servers require funding.

The development team is running a drive to keep this wonderful tool alive.

Go to the site, check it out, use the tool to improve your city and if your so inclined, please support it to ensure it's future.

Thanks!
Thanks. Please, just not make it as spam. Send it only in your guilds, not to random people.
Thumbs Up 
(04-01-2018, 07:42 PM)Rhil Wrote: Thank you for your efforts Rhil and I am 100% with you on this. I've already donated to help and talked to my guild, and I intend to put your great message to good use.  Smile
How is fund raising going? I'm terrified that City Planner will close down on Tuesday. Sad I can kick in a little for June, but can't for May.
(04-29-2018, 04:33 PM)Kaidi Wrote: How is fund raising going? I'm terrified that City Planner will close down on Tuesday. Sad I can kick in a little for June, but can't for May.

No, City planner will not go away in May. It will stay.
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do we get another full month??
(05-01-2018, 07:56 PM)letoubab Wrote: Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do we get another full month??

Definitely. I will update the status in next few days.